Re: Consensus Call (Update): draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-04 16:40:52

On Dec 4, 2011, at 2:48 PM, David Conrad wrote:

2) "Squat" on someone else's space or un-allocated space.  I don't think
that's a result we should want to happen, for obvious reasons. (I also don't
think it's likely many ISPs would do this either - just noting it's possible)

Say you are the CIO of a large ISP.  If you get to decide between spending
$50M or having your customers be potentially unable to communicate with (say)
a relatively tiny number of ham operators (44/8) or US SIPRnet (which I
suspect is against the law for your customers to communicate with) or <pick
your favorite block>, what would be your choice?

I was trying to be kind, but you're right that makes a lot of sense.  I hadn't
considered the 44/8 ham operator block, but that one is kind of a hog waiting
to be slaughtered... it's not kosher but they probably wouldn't squeal too
much.
;)

-hadriel