Re: Consensus Call (Update): draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-05 12:48:30
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 15:06, Ronald Bonica <rbonica(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Several topic have become intertwined in the mailing list discussion, making
it difficult to gauge community consensus. Further discussion of the
following topics would help the IESG to gauge consensus:

- Is the reserved /10 required for the deployment of CGN?

No, but it is the best option and it's allocation and use will lower
the pain inflicted by CGN on the Internet at large.

- What is the effect of burning 4 million IPv4 addresses on the exhaustion of
IPv4?

The benefit of a shared space far outweighs one months worth of
addresses for one RIR. Plus, it is likely that the availability of a
shared CGN space will slow allocations enough to offset this one month
loss.

- Can alternative /10s be used?

This has been stated many times already (and is contained in multiple
drafts), so I'll just leave a high-level summary of our other options
as a reminder:
 - RFC 1918 space WILL NOT be used by operators.
 - Globally unique space is a waste and has all the same problems as a
shared /10 with the added problem of lack of standardization.
 - Squat space has all the same issues as a shared CGN space plus the
lack of standardization plus add the complications of squatting.
 - 240 - All the same issues of a shared CGN space but add the
complications from an explicit/intentional lack of vendor support in
many of the devices in question.

By contrast, further discussion of the following topics would not help the
IESG gauge consensus:
<snip>

Agreed. The bottom line here is that if we remove ourselves from the
religious/political debate and focus on operational realities - the
choice is not a hard one. The allocation of a shared CGN space is the
best thing we can do for the Internet, it's users, it's operators,
it's vendors, and for IPv6 deployment as well (which is actually
redundant).

Cheers,
~Chris

@ChrisGrundemann