Re: Consensus Call (Update): draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-07 12:39:38

"Benson" == Benson Schliesser <bschlies(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
    Benson> However, there is one essential point that I'd like to
    Benson> clarify: We need a common standard for numbering CGN NAT444
    Benson> deployments.

    Benson> For NAT444 deployments of CGN, we are talking about a new
    Benson> scope - the intermediate "CGN zone" network - that is
    Benson> neither global or local. Within this scope, one cannot
    Benson> expect end-to-end (global) address fidelity (because traffic
    Benson> is NATted), nor can one expect forwarding to be confined to
    Benson> a single organization (because it touches CPE etc).

Okay, while this address touches the CPE, it does not cross it.

    Benson> PS - I also support turning 240/4 into unicast, as others
    Benson> have recommended. But this will not help in the immediate
    Benson> future timeframe, for the currently deployed equipment,
    Benson> which is driving the need for Shared CGN Space. It may be
    Benson> complementary, but does not reduce the need for a /10
    Benson> assignment.

The CGN space seems like a very good place to use 240.0/10.

A single organization often controls and specifies all equipment which
will use the address space, and even in the cases where customers have
their own equipment, a lot of it will have no problem with 240.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.