Re: Travel/Attendees list FAQ

2011-12-07 12:16:11

On 12/7/2011 9:48 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 09:36:01AM -0800, Dave CROCKER wrote:

But note that there needs to be a different wiki for each IETF
meeting.  That includes a different URL.  We should preserve each
meeting's wiki as part of the meeting archive, rather than replacing
one meeting's content with the next.

Wikis usually have a mechanism to look at old content.  Wouldn't that
be more practical than preserving an ever-increasing number of wikis
of what is, by its very nature, not really stable information?

1.  Oh.  No, I had not thought of that very interesting possibility.

2.  It probably won't give the right result or at least not conveniently.

I was/am thinking in terms of being able to read what was in force for a particular meeting. Wikis tend to be changed incrementally and without any checkpoingts for "versions". Hence, using the history mechanism is likely to require wandering through a variety of versions.

Offhand, I think the wiki history mechanism is extremely useful for understanding incremental evolution, rather than massive change. For each meeting, much or most of the content will change. It really does make it a new database at that point, IMO.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking