Re: Travel/Attendees list FAQ

2011-12-12 10:08:43
+1,000,000

The argument that an RFC, retrieved from the web, is more accessible than a web
page or wiki, retrieved from the web, does not reflect reality.

The argument that if the questions do not change much from venue to venue needs
to be an RFC, and not a web page or wiki, does not hold water. RFCs are
supposed to NEVER change. That is why we still have RFC 1000, 2000, 3000
available. Do we really need 6 RFCs covering "what makes a good host", because
we keep thinking of new items or to fix old ones?

The argument that we need an RFC or twelve to show potential hosts, instead of
a "how to host an IETF" web page is beyond wrong. One thing that keeps coming
up is the people who do the on-the-ground hosting of IETFs are not people who
attend IETFs. They are the "party planners," hotel coordinators, swag printers,
etc. For them an RFC is entirely alien. I would be amazed if they (1) could
find an RFC and (2) if they read beyond the 1.5 pages of IETF Trust boiler
plate. Conversely, these people are totally used to going to a web page to pick
up tips or requirements for hosting.

In theory I could be swayed for making this data available as a managed web
page, but in practice it will get done if it is a wiki. Instead of 16 messages
on why we should or should not publish an RFC, which most would agree would be
obsolete before it gets published, we could have had 12 entries in a wiki. With
Wes' work as a seed, we would be done by now.