Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-sidr-rpki-rtr-19.txt> (The RPKI/Router Protocol) to Proposed Standard

2011-12-20 16:51:53

On Dec 14, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

As you say, NetConf is for *configuring* routers.  RPKI-rtr is not used
for router configuration, but rather dynamic data, a la IS-IS or BGP.
In fact, the RPKI-rtr payload data go into the same data structure as
the BGP data.

But aren't you're still going to need that static configuration data that's
there today to augment this (e.g., customer prefix lists and nested AS path
filter lists), it's not replacing anything, just adding more systems and cost?

If it's in a data structure like BGP data is it not persistent across reboots?
 If so, I've now got to download >400k origin,prefix policy bindings from RPKI
caches after each reboot, at the very same time I'm also trying to pickup the
routing tables that the RPKI data is meant to help with validation for.  Is
there really that much churn in this policy configuration data (origin,prefix)
that it can't exist in static policy configuration files like the rest of the
policy and router configuration data?

-danny