Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

2012-01-20 08:43:17
Hi Phillip,

For those who are interested in the proceedings, they took place
yesterday at the ITU's Radio Advisory Group (RAG).  The United States
introduced the proposal to do away with leap seconds.  They were not,
shall we say, universally supported.  Those in favor were largely in
line with what you wrote below, Phillip.  Those opposed were not clear
that there really was a problem to solve, and wanted more time to
consult.  The matter was referred back to the study group for further
consideration, as well as broader consultation, and will be taken up
again at the next RAG (approximately two years from now).

If you have a TIES account at the ITU, you can listen to the proceedings
by going to the following link and moving to time index 1:43:15 or so.

http://www.itu.int/ibs/ITU-R/RA12/links/1-20120119-1400-en.smil

Regards,

Eliot