Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

2012-01-22 11:57:40
On 1/20/2012 7:13 AM, Tim Bray wrote:

One consequence of your proposal, if adopted, is that there will need
to be a specification of the canonical Internet-time-to-Sidereal-time
function,

No actually there isn't such a need Tim. Its one of the problems we face
here in the timekeeping world.

In fact let me respond as a professional timekeeper since it appears as
I am the only one here.

so that in the long run, the time that your computer says it
is will correspond with what you observe looking out the window.

OK - I disagree. Global time should not be local time. If people are too
stupid to deal with that wait another 30 yeas and those idiots will all
be gone... as in dead - and the new crop of talent will have grown up
with the fact that time is mutable.

The issue of the Internet being around you cite below also pertains to
space based commerce, so in designing a system that only works on this
planet you repeat the previous mistake.

The
Internet will be around long enough that this will indeed become a
problem.

So again the issue here is that protocols and software today are
implemented to need this support. That is the way were designed, i.e. in
a manner which specifically causes this thing now being identified as a
problem.

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker