Re: [IETF] Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

2012-01-20 12:16:39

On Jan 20, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Ofer Inbar wrote:

If the main problem with leap seconds is their future
unpredictability, isn't there a compromise option between the status
quo and no more leap seconds?  Couldn't they come up with a fixed
schedule for leap seconds for many centuries at a time, based on
current predictions of approximately how many will be needed each
century?

That should be good enough to prevent real human-noticeable drift
between UTC and perceived day/night time.  If a correction is needed
because current predictions turn out to be wrong, it seems that could
be done very rarely, with centuries of lead time in changes to the
schedule.  Was anything like this considered at the international level?

[ I know this is not something the IETF can decide, of course ]

So, many of these discussions and suggestions seem to be at best addressing a
symptom (time is diverging) versus the actual issue (the planet is slowing
down) -- this feels to me like a bandaid over a gaping wound.

So, my proposal is that, at the next meeting, we all face counter to the
rotation and blow really hard -- Lord knows that we generate enough hot air,
maybe we can finally put some of it to good use.

I'm considering proposing a bar BOF so that we can determine just how long we
would need to blow for. Obviously different folk generate vastly different
amounts of hot air, and so factors like this would need to be taken into
consideration, etc.

 -- Cos