Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

2012-01-23 04:06:22

On 1/23/12 3:27 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
"Eliot" == Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> Can you tell me which protocols use future timestamps in an
    >> moving form (not stored at rest in a certificate in a DANE RR,
    >> for instance), which care about discrepancies of less than 1
    >> minute?

    Eliot> iCal, for one, which can be used for recurring events that
    Eliot> have nothing to do with computers.  Also relevant, would be

Forgive me for being dense, but I don't understand how this is relevant.

You're right, but you asked the wrong, though.  To begin with, protocols
don't care about anything.  It's the people running the applications and
services using the protocols that care.  We can't say how iCal is being
used everywhere.  It is entirely possible that someone is using the
format for something akin to cron(8).

And as to the example you mention, let's look carefully:

iCal, as far as I can understand, stores start/end dates in human form.
For instance, from RF2445:
     BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
     TZID:US-Eastern
     LAST-MODIFIED:19870101T000000Z
     BEGIN:STANDARD
     DTSTART:19971026T020000
               YYYYMMDD HHMMSS

Note the "SS" at the end.

I'll also note that the TZ database handles leap seconds but can also be
used to adjust against UTC in some way.  Note I'm not suggesting this,
and I'm really glad we have a few years to think about it.  Good time to
have the dialog, however...

Eliot