Re: ITC copped out on UTC again

2012-01-20 13:27:28
On 2012-01-21 03:20, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
If we are ever going to get a handle on Internet time we need to get rid of
the arbitrary correction factors introduced by leap seconds.

Time is and always will be an arbitrary measurement scheme, and the only
thing that makes sense for the Internet is to use the same arbitrary scheme
as everybody else. We just have to suck up the resulting inconveniences,
as GPS has to. It would be unthinkable to go it alone.

Alternatively we could revert to the Julian (365.25 day) calendar, which
was considerably more convenient for programmers, or perhaps to one of the
old Iranian (360 day) calendars, which are convenient in some ways but do
require occasional leap months.

   Brian