Re: Second Last Call: <draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-08.txt> (Sieve Notification Mechanism: SIP MESSAGE) to Proposed Standard

2012-01-26 17:02:52
Michael Richardson wrote:
"Pete" == Pete Resnick <presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> writes:
    Pete> decision about what ought to be done here. The community needs
    Pete> to come to a consensus about the right outcome and the
    Pete> leadership folks will judge that consensus and instantiate
    Pete> whatever actions need to be taken. It's certainly OK if you

At this point, I do not have a clear idea of what the set of outcomes
could be.  I think that they can include:
   1) not publishing the document.
   2) revising the document to remove/work-around the encumbered work
   3) some legal action to attend to anul the patent (which might or
      might not succeed).
   4) go ahead and publish things as they are.

I am concerned that the individual may be scapegoated here, but I also
do not buy that they didn't understand things. The company spent money to file a patent, and they hired someone to do this, and they certainly knew where the "invention" was documented.
There is a need for a consequence for not following the IPR.
I read the document, but not the patent, so I don't see what's so novel
about it all, and I also don't know how hard it would be to work around.

My preference is to some method to remove any value the patent might
have.

+1.

Given the nature of the new 1996 timeline for patentability of prior art, the richness of technologies, the integration of technologies. e.g. the Markus Analysis does not apply as strong as it did which in short, says the following (paraphrasing from my old Westinghouse Chief Lawyer presentation to the Venture Group):

   - You can not take prior art A, B and create a patent D, unless
     there is a new and unique part C,

   - Given the first rule, parts A and B can not be restricted on
     existing systems and/or deny existing systems to implement what
     would be natural course of their existence.  IOW, if a Markus
     Analysis shows that Part C is a natural evolution of the existing
     systems, they can not denied adding it.

This is what has me to sleep like a baby with the new frivolous patents of prior arts that is now allowed. Unfortunately, what has allowed the new patent era to exist is the less emphasis of performing the Markus Analysis by patent examiners.

Overall, the mere fact of submitting an IETF document, by definition, it means implementators are not subject to any sort of restrictions. As it is right now, when I see new I-D comes in, if it even smells like its has IPR related stuff, I totally 100% skip it. Ignore it. I don't bother with it.

In my view, the IETF should view new submissions in the same way. So its not only a,

    "Are you totally sure this is IPR-claim-free?"

but also

    "Are you using IETF related parts?

Because if the I-D submitter is using existing IETF parts, then he/she must be aware that any IPR existing or in the future against anyone that exist using such parts or now also include future system that decides to use the new I-D.

In my view, Mr. Resnick, should consider the concept of the Markus Analysis. If this I-D is allowed to go thru, how will it alter existing systems? Will existing systems with all the parts, except the integration of the new by existing part, be denied the natural inclusion of the new part?

In other words, a system that has IETF technology SMTP and/or IMAP and SIEVE already in place, if they add an existing IETF technology SIP, will they be restricted?

There has to be something completely novel and not an IETF technology for it to hold any strength. But if that is not the case, where each part is an IETF technology, the mere integration of all these IETF parts, by definition, must not have any sort of patent strength or for that matter, recognition.

--
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com
jabber: hector(_at_)jabber(_dot_)isdg(_dot_)net