Re: Second Last Call: <draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-08.txt> (Sieve Notification Mechanism: SIP MESSAGE) to Proposed Standard

2012-01-26 22:07:45
Barry Leiba wrote:

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think the license terms are at issue
here.  As I understand it, the terms that Huawei has been specifying
in its disclosures are defensive, and shouldn't restrict standards
implementations.  The issue we're discussing isn't the terms, but that
the disclosures weren't made when they should have been.

Personally, that isn't the main problem.

Sure, if its their position its more of an defensive patent to combat the reality of dealing patent trolls, that is good news.

Unfortunately, Business Methods patents don't require the "unique part" in the integration of unrestricted parts and it covers the basic idea of just the integration. Thats a major conflict in an IETF environment which has untold thousands of parts. So today, its SIP+SIEVE. How about tomorrow with DKIM+SIP or in more general, RFC_X+RFC_Y?

My concern is that it should not be necessary to disclosed because the IETF parts are already public domain. The idea of integration two of them, which is part for the course today MUST not open a can of worms where you are allowed to do this.

IOW, Barry, Are we opening that door that combing any two or more IETF technologies is ok to patent (not the method in combining) as long as they submit an IPR claim at the same thing of the I-D submission?

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com