Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-12 17:42:30
    > From: Nilsson <mansaxel(_at_)besserwisser(_dot_)org>

    >> denying this block is likely to _accelerate_ usage of what space
    >> remains

    > What happened to

    >>> - See CGN deployed using various hacks (e.g. squatting on space)
    >>> - See CGN deployed using a block of space allocated for that purpose

    > ...that were the ONLY two choices we have?
    > Suddenly, you introduce a third.

No. 'Everyone allocating their own CGN block' falls under "various hacks" (i.e.
option i).

    > Let me quote from RIPE-530, the in-force allocation policy document
    > for RIPE NCC

Well, I guess European ISPs are going to be forced to squat, then (there are a
number of non-backbone-routed /8s allocated to things like intelligence
agencies, which are unlikely to appear on the backbone) - unless we can get a
common CGN block allocated from elsewhere.

        Noel