Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-13 10:51:53
    > From: Arturo Servin <arturo(_dot_)servin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

    >> Are you volunteering to buy everyone on earth a new CPE? If not, who
    >> do you suggest will?

    > I suggest the ISPs, they are charging for the service, right?

Lots of CPE is actually owned by the customers, not the ISPs. E.g. in our
house, both our cable modem and the router attached to it are ours.

(Not quite sure how CGN would work in such an ISP - I guess they'd assign
the customer's IP address, on our side of the cable modem, out of the CGN
block? 'traceroute' say our cable box has a 10. address on the far side,
even now.)

But, anyway, telling such ISPs 'go buy new CPE' just isn't an option.

    > Errors cost money. They decided not to invest in IPv6, now there is
    > time to pay.

Again, it's made cystal clear that the real goal of the opponents here is
to punish people for not adopting IPv6.

Don't you think this casts IPv6 in a really bad light - that the only way
to get people to adopt it is to force them into it, using whatever whips
and chains are available?

But I'll stop there, since we're not supposed to be getting de-railed into
IPv6.

        Noel