Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-13 14:58:23
On 02/13/2012 12:45, David Conrad wrote:
On Feb 13, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
If an ISP can't use a shared block, they'll go ask their RIR for
a block - and given that they demonstrably have the need (lots of
customers), they will get it. Multiply than by N providers.

If the RIRs do not deny these requests there is likely to be a
revolt. OTOH that may be a good thing ....

What grounds would an RIR have to deny this request?

I haven't kept up to date on all of the RIRs' policies for granting
requests, but I don't recall seeing "give me a huge block so that I can
do CGN" as one of the established criteria.

- See CGN deployed using various hacks (e.g. squatting on space)

Incredibly unlikely to happen. The ISPs are smart enough to know
that this will cause them more headaches than its worth.

You're joking, right?

Ok, let's assume I'm wrong. Then there are 2 options:

1. They squat on space that causes them (and their customers) pain. I'm
fine with that. Hopefully it will encourage their customers to move
away, thus causing more pain for the ISP.
2. They squat on space that doesn't cause pain. I don't like that
option, but it solves the problem, right?

- See CGN deployed using a block of space allocated for that
purpose
If the IETF rightly denies this request then the ISPs are going to
be forced to use the proper option, 1918 space.

No.  ISPs will do what makes business sense for them.  Some of these
ISPs have already indicated that RFC 1918 won't work for them.

I've already covered all the reasons I don't buy this in detail.

Doug

--

        It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.