Re: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-14.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space) to BCP

2012-02-13 14:13:34
On 2012-02-14 05:51, Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: Arturo Servin <arturo(_dot_)servin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

    >> Are you volunteering to buy everyone on earth a new CPE? If not, who
    >> do you suggest will?

    > I suggest the ISPs, they are charging for the service, right?

Lots of CPE is actually owned by the customers, not the ISPs. E.g. in our
house, both our cable modem and the router attached to it are ours.

Sure, that's very common, but these devices are consumer electronics and
will get gradually replaced by IPv6-supporting boxes as time goes on.
(That is not hand-waving, the generation of boxes with IPv6 support is
starting to appear.) Nobody, I think, is denying that there will be a long
period of coexistence as a result.

That is a separate question from this draft, which gives ISPs space for
*growing* their IPv4 customer base. I think that is what upsets people.

   Brian