Re: Variable length internet addresses in TCP/IP: history

2012-02-14 18:08:17
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

I'm sorry, but *any* coexistence between RFC791-IPv4-only hosts and
hosts that are numbered out of an address space greater than 32 bits
requires some form of address sharing,

Sure.

address mapping, and translation.

Not at all.

Realm Specific IP [RFC3102] is such an example without any
mapping nor translations. Abstract of the RFC states:

   This document examines the general framework of Realm Specific IP
   (RSIP).  RSIP is intended as a alternative to NAT in which the end-
   to-end integrity of packets is maintained.  We focus on
   implementation issues, deployment scenarios, and interaction with
   other layer-three protocols.

It doesn't matter what choice we made back in 1994. Once you get to the
point where you've run out of 32 bit addresses and not every node can
support>32 bit addresses, you have the problem.

The only problem is that some people misinterpret it that
we had needed IPv6.

                                                Masataka Ohta