Re: Variable length internet addresses in TCP/IP: history

2012-02-14 21:40:32
Why? They would have needed updated stacks. The routers would
have need updated stacks. The servers would have needed updated
stacks. The firewalls would have needed updated stacks. The load
balancers would have needed updated stacks. Many MIBs would have
needed to be updated. DHCP servers would have needed to be updated.
ARP would have needed to be updated, and every routing protocol.

<rant>

the routers had v6 code in the mid to late '90s.  servers had the kame
stack before then.  etc etc etc.  except for dhcp, of course, as the v6
religious zealots did not want to allow dhcp, it would make enterprise
conversion too easy.

what we did not have was a way to deploy around the fracking
incompatibility.  it was not until 2001 or so that we could even run
useful dual stack, so we early deployers had two parallel networks for
some years.

religion has always been more important to the ietf than deployment.
look at dhcpv6, the zealots are still stonewalling router discovery.
look at the deprecation of nat-pt, now nat64/dns64.  it is as if the
ipv6 high priesthood did everything in their power to make ipv6
undeployable without very high cost.  and they have succeeded admirably.

so today, since the costs of ipv6 incompatibility and lack of feature
parity are still high, for some folk it is easier to deploy nat44444.
what a win for the internet.  congratulations.

randy