RE: IETF Last Calls and Godwin-like rules

2012-02-17 11:56:48
Randy Bush speaketh:
It's a quintessential bike-shed problem.  The only reason
that people are moaning about it so much is that they understand
the concept of address allocation.

exactly.  they understand the concept.  and, like many things
where the surface seems easy, everyone thinks they're an expert.

Ugh.

Who gets to decide who the experts are?

Who gets to decide what voice they get?

Why should the "working expert" be penalized because they don't favor
sitting on a mailing list slogging through the minutae of everyday
issues that don't impact them, just for speaking up when they are
being affected?

You'll note that I didn't just "vote-stuff"  but have actively
participated in trying to show my reasoning for support.  I've
sat on the MSO-IPv6 working group for the last 2 years, and
draft-weil went to OPSAWG, I followed it there.

And then it came over here.

Are you telling me, that because I haven't participated in any other
discussions, that I may not be "an expert" in my field, or that I
don't get a voice?  Even though I've been working with IPv6 for >7 years,
and was the first person in Alaska to have a working production network
available at my job?  And to convince my company, that yes, IPv6 is worth
fighting for?  And to push back at vendors until they supported it?
And filed and helped fix bugs?

I say that it is not *your* call.

I say that unless *you* are supporting >200k users on an IPv4 network with
the threat of no additional public IPv4 space looming, and the REQUIREMENT
that you not only maintain but GROW your business...

... if *YOU* *RANDY*  are not doing that... then *YOU* are not an expert.

Of course, that's not fair either.  And I would be loathe to actually
do such a thing.

But I would be careful about throwing stones around...