Re: DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-02-27 11:33:40
Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On 24/Feb/12 19:06, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Friday, February 24, 2012 12:57:49 PM Andrew Sullivan wrote:
How could you integrate a pre-allocated type when you don't know what
its format is?  If you knew how to do that, you could just deal with
unknown RRTPYEs, and then having TYPE99 wouldn't be a problem anyway.
I'd give them all a format of text and if a protocol needs something more specific than that it can interpret it at the application level.

Publishing RRs requires proper formatting, though.  In most cases,
tools could work equally well without knowing whether a type is
registered or not.  They could rely upon symbolic specifications, see
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-levine-dnsextlang/ , leaving it
to sysadmins to install official specs.

I am extremely interested to know how RFC3597 "Handling of Unknown DNS Resource Record (RR) Types" is viewed today as a still ongoing prevalent issues.

Back around that time from (up to around 2007/2008), I would never even bother with any protocol consideration using new RR types or more specifically, allows the publishing with a high confidence the passthru recursive necessary would be feasibly successful.

I would like to poise this general question to the IETF/DNS community:

    Given higher modern DNS server support for unnamed types, should
    new protocols continues to pursue new RR types or does the
    DNS Community believe this original infrastructure ideal is no longer
    necessary and new protocols can use TXT records with a high
    degree of DNS support confidence for robustness.

Many new protocols use the TXT records simply as a fast entry, high support mechanism to store data on DNS. Is the mindset today such that this is still desirable, is there an DNS impact with this on going direction?

Consider the point of view of a developer exploring a new protocol, should he focus on using TXT only and now sweat any IETF/DNS community endorsement or should he/she also include a considering for a new RR type in the design?

Thanks

---
Hector Santos/CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.