Re: DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-02-27 16:35:25
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
-----Original Message-----

OS vendors could have supplied it earlier.

The question is not whether the nameservers themselves support it (we know these days that they
do), but rather the user interfaces that many people have to use to create records.  For example,
several web-based "domain control panel" things for virtual web site hosting know how to
add the common types, but not others.  This has even challenged deployment of DKIM, which doesn't
have its own RRType and re-uses TXT, because it's strange for some people to post a big base64 blob
into a web form for which the label is "hostname/address" or some such.

These are valid widest total infrastructure support goals, but I don't believe its (and I believe RC5507 and Patrick is stating) are valid arguments against the usage and promotion of using RR types. Well understood, but not an excuse to abandon the ideal because in my personal view a "Simplicity" factor has emerged with many ISPs offering WEB-based DNS management frontends. I don' think that means it wasn't possible for them to support new RR type record input - some simply took the path to least support resistance.

Any-hoo, that is why i poise the question in regards to what are the new "ideals."

Just consider, Murray, it isn't a big deal in 2006 for SPF/MARID efforts, then it would had never came up as a suggestion as a IETF/DNS community endorsement appeasing idea to help mode the I-D for what become RFC 4408. After all, SPF already had a long list of IETF key cogs who were militantly against it - and some who are still are now deciding its BIS future.

The essence I am getting from limited WG participant leading these efforts, is that it doesn't matter any more, don't bother to even consider it any more. Its a waste of time.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com