Re: DNS RRTYPEs, the difficulty with

2012-02-27 13:43:25

On 27 feb 2012, at 18:33, Hector wrote:

I would like to poise this general question to the IETF/DNS community:

   Given higher modern DNS server support for unnamed types, should
   new protocols continues to pursue new RR types or does the
   DNS Community believe this original infrastructure ideal is no longer
   necessary and new protocols can use TXT records with a high
   degree of DNS support confidence for robustness.

Many new protocols use the TXT records simply as a fast entry, high support
mechanism to store data on DNS. Is the mindset today such that this is still
desirable, is there an DNS impact with this on going direction?

I have not heard anything else than arguments in RFC5507 against reusing same
RRType for many different kind of use.

5507 Design Choices When Expanding the DNS. IAB, P. Faltstrom, Ed., R.
     Austein, Ed., P. Koch, Ed.. April 2009. (Format: TXT=44045 bytes)

So, still, no, you should not reuse TXT. You should have your own RRType. Other
choices makes your design very complex.

Yes, many people will still disagree with me, using arguments I do not agree
with...

  Patrik