Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the Conclusion of Experiments

2012-04-20 03:24:48
Hi,

On Apr 19, 2012, at 22:38, Eliot Lear wrote:
I do not support such a view, and it is not supported in a plain reading
of RFC 2026.  What's more, it's not how researchers work.  Researchers
naturally move on.  If we are looking to further push researchers away
from the IRTF, this is a good way to do it.

Whether or not an experiment is active is also not how research works.
Sometimes work is taken up after years of gaps.  ILNP is a good example
of this.  Had 8+8 been published in a timely fashion as an experimental
RFC, we would have had obsoleted it, only to then unobsolete it?

I agree with Eliot. I think the IESG is interpreting things into 2026 that
aren't there. Not all Experimental RFCs describe what - with my research hat on
- I would call a scientific experiment. Actually, I can't come up with single
one that does.

Experimental RFCs specify protocols and protocol extensions *for
experimentation*, just as Standards Track RFCs specify protocols and protocol
extensions for widespread implementation and deployment. But they do *not*
(usually) describe the actual experiments that are to be performed, and I know
of no one that would go so far as discuss a timeline for any such experiments.
The assumption that an Experimental RFC always describes an actual scientific
experiment is simply wrong, and since this assumption underlies the proposed
IESG statement, it renders it ineffectual at best and actually harmful at worst.

Experimental RFCs get published for all kinds of reasons. On the IETF side,
this may range from actual proposals for protocol evolution for the community
to play with, to things that failed to get Standards Track consensus but that a
WG didn't feel like abandoning outright, and some WGs use them as a pre-PS
step. The proposed IESG statement completely misses that reality.

And obviously, Experimental RFCs exist on other Streams. In terms of whether
any IESG statement would even apply to IRTF and Independent Stream RFCs, that
is not at all clear to me. In any event, it would have been good to CC the
IRSG, since they are not included on the wgchairs list. If the IESG believes
that their statement would extend to RFCs on other Streams, they should REALLY
have engaged us much earlier, rather than with a six-day deadline for comments.