Re: Proposed IESG Statement on the Conclusion of Experiments

2012-04-19 16:18:55
RFC 2026 says this about Experimental RFCs:

   The "Experimental" designation typically denotes a specification that
   is part of some research or development effort.

However, I do not believe that this is still typical. Authors come up with
ideas that they think are useful. If when the documents are ready for
publication it is still not clear whether there are enough implementers
convinced by the use case (some definition of running code), they are
encouraged to publish them as experimental rather than proposed standard.

I am the author of two Experimental RFCs. In both cases I was going for
standards track, and in both cased an AD was the document shepherd and he told
me to go for Experimental.

The first of these (4478) has three independent, interoperable implementations
in shipping code, although I don't know if it's used much. I am not aware of
any implementations of the other one (6023), although there may be some. When I
asked an AD about promoting 4478 to standards track (seeing as we have all this
running code) his response was "why bother?" (these are three different ADs in
this story...)

Neither of these can really be called an "experiment" except in the sense of
"let's see if the Internet needs this specification". They may be used more
later than they are now, but they're in no way stopping. I don't see why we
should waste precious cycles on maintaining old Experimental RFCs. Either
they're in use or they're not, and a search engine can usually reveal this.

It may be a good idea to have former authors or ADs or volunteers write a
paragraph that can be displayed on, say, the tools page for the RFC, along the
lines of "In seven years, this RFC has seen three independent implementations,
but it is not in wide use", or "the protocol in this RFC is used everywhere on
the web, and this could be progressed to PS if we had the energy."

I don't think we should waste our energy by creating an RFC for each of those
experimental RFCs.

Yoav