Re: Is the IETF aging?

2012-05-02 14:14:38
Hi PHB,

the IETF is not like an enterprise where you can decide (as part of the hiring
process) what characteristics your employees should have.

In a volunteer organization the offered topics drive the participation. Ask
yourself: what you as someone who just finished a university education want to
hang around in the IETF to standardize yet another IPv4/IPv6 transition
mechanism or to participate in the MPLS-TP discussions?

When people suggest new work to the IETF they often see a strange reaction. I
remember when Mozilla came to the IETF and proposed to work on the privacy
topic "Do Not Track". I couldn't find support for doing the work in the IETF. I
don't exactly know why people didn't like it but the W3C immediately picked it
up and had seen lots of new companies (mostly from the advertising industry)
joining the W3C.

Ciao
Hannes