Re: Is the IETF aging?

2012-05-02 16:51:21
Hi,

It may not be line a hiring manager, but all those who have budget can make it
a point to make sure some of the younger engineers get to some of the meetings,
at least the ones that are relatively local to them.  I assume that many of the
older participants, have the means to influence the travel lists.  For years
there have been people working on the gender balance perhaps some focus on the
age balance may become appropriate.

It was good, though to see that the distribution was not too skewed toward the
older participants.

As for bringing new work in, doesn't that take a plan for introducing the
subject and showing why it is relevant to the IETF community. Although, knowing
you, you probably had such a plan.  I think that the technical privacy issues,
for example, while belonging in the IETF, might still feel strange to some of
the traditional engineering participants.  So in this case, you may need to
promote a slight cultural change that accepts privacy as a requirement as well
as the technical challenge of the issue.

avri