Re: 'Geek' image scares women away from tech industry ? The Register

2012-05-03 02:16:23
Culture plays a vital role in determining what one's options are, incuding
career options. When I was in high schoool I was good at maths and science.
After  completing my O'levels, there was a general assumptions that I wold
take up Commercial/business subjects and when I opted for the science
subjects the genral notion was that i wouldn't do well. Now 8 after my
undergrad. I find that the workplace can really be hostile and uncivil to
women in the technical field, that is,  if you are lucky to get an
opportunity. I have found that at times male colleagues look at you as an
intruder and you are expected to behave like a wife in the boardroom, very
subservient and always looking up and aying the man.

Getting ahead is very difficult and the best way to do so is to move jobs.
I have three kids and two of them are girls. If they want to enter the
technical field, I will definitely sit down and have an honest ho holds
barred talk with them to prepare them for the disappointments they may
face. However if it was my decision, I would discourage them even tough I
am in the technical field, enjoy my job and wouldn't want to change careers.

The workplace is supposed to have evolved, to include women, but the
workplace really isn't inclusive.

What I have outllined is my perception of things and could very well be
true for other professions, which I find to be very similar to that of
other women techies. The reason for the perception above are varied and
addressing each of them is essential for women to have an interest in
engineering. There really won't be a need to push unless being geeky can be
pereived as being attractive. What makes geek attractive? That should be
the question we need to answer. How do we make geek attractive?

On 2 May 2012 22:06, Mary Barnes