Re: IETF posting delays

2012-05-07 12:35:30
Hi Ofer,
At 06:45 07-05-2012, Ofer Inbar wrote:
The question isn't "do we block email from non-members";
the question seems to be "we used to reply to the sender with a
notification that their message was blocked due to not being a
list member, with options to wait or cancel; did we disable those
notifications?"

Some IETF mailing lists send a notification to the sender if a message is held for moderation and the ability to cancel the posting. Speaking about the IETF mailing lists I am aware of, email from non-subscribers go to a moderation queue. The options used for these queues have always been reject (send a bounce) or allow the message through. The "discard" option is not used on those lists.

The response time is usually under twenty-four hours. There was only one case of incorrect rejection as it was not possible for the moderator to read the contents of that message easily. There were only two cases of posting delays:

 (i)  Misunderstanding relating to prior discussions about postings

 (ii) Forty-eight hour delay which could be attributed to laziness

The IETF celebrates Mailman day on the first day of each month. Every subscriber is sent a notification about the IETF mailing lists he or she is subscribed to. There are a few cases of subscribers being automatically unsubscribed from an IETF mailing list due to excessive bounces. This happened for an IETF mailing list which makes ietf@ look like a low volume.

The IESG in its wisdom and kindness has provided the following statements:

http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/moderated-lists.html
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/spam-control.html

IETF mailing lists do not use the List-Owner: header. If you need a point of contact, you can find the email address of the mailing list moderator by accessing the first URI in the List-Subscribe: header.

The message with msg-id 4FA58B0C(_dot_)1010803(_at_)santronics(_dot_)com was delayed due to moderation. The delay may be influenced by the current definition of GMT (UTC - 0700) within the IETF.

Regards,
-sm