Re: IETF posting delays

2012-05-07 14:21:44
offlist.

On 5/7/2012 12:06 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:
  I know that I have had messages discarded on several occasions.  As a
moderator, I look at the legitimacy of the posting and if it is a member
of the community (it's generally very easy to tell), then I add them as
being able to post even though they aren't subscribed. This can be very
helpful as many of us use multiple addresses.

Mary,

The issue is a matter of scaling and resources. For small lists with low traffic, setting to moderate mis-postings works well. For larger and more visible lists, with more activity, it doesn't. The signal-to-noise ratio is horrible. (That's a first-hand opinion, not an abstraction.)

On the other hand, if you are volunteering to moderate mis-posted messages for the IETF list, perhaps the list administrator will let you...

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking