Re: IETF posting delays

2012-05-07 07:49:11
Randy Bush wrote:
    indeed, the following line in your header was the clue.
That is interesting, I didn't had this line in the header. Strange.

that is because you posted from the address which was subscribed so
needed no manual intervention.

Question, did the IETF list setup disable the "non-member" email notifications?

I use to get these emails offering options to wait for moderator approval or click a URL to cancel the submission. I have not seen these again for this IETF list. The grief with the unknown delays and mistake postings would of been avoided.

I wonder if it was disabled since for this special IETF DISCUSS list there are times when I see an RFC editor or IESG reviewers want responses to include/keep the target addresses. If it includes non-member list addresses, then you begin to get the annoying non-member notifications. So you either punt and don't provide input or you are presented with the undesired need to subscribe to the list(s) perhaps only temporarily to avoid the notifications and also avoid delays waiting for moderator approval and that may not even happen! Not pleasant to put time and energy in IETF participation and having to wonder what is going with postings delays. Do you repost? Do you use another address? How long do you wait? Should you bother people about this?

Anyway thought about this problem and created a possible Temporary Non Member White listing idea:

bool CheckMemberShip(
    char *pszList, // list name
    char *pszFrom, // poster address
    char *pszSubj  // message 5322.Subject
)

/*
   return true if pszFrom address is a member of pszList
   or is a returning non-member submission with the same list
   and same pszSubj (topic) allowing for an automated means
   to reduce delays, reduce hold mail queues and reduce
   the moderator work load without requiring the user to
   subscribe to a list he prefers not to join for a limited
   posting need.
*/

{
   // If the user is a list member, then return true
   // and continue with the list submission.

   if (IsListMember(pszList, pszFrom))
      return true;

   // Check for a returning non-member same topic post.
   // If missing, create conocalized hash for the list+from+topic
   // allowing temp authorization to post to the list under the
   // same topic in future submissions. return true if
   // the returning user is allowed to post without delay.

   if (CheckTempMemberHash(pszList,pszFrom,pszSubj))
      return true;

   // first time submission or different topic.
   // Create the non-member notification. When a poster
   // changes the subject line, will trigger a reset.

   CreateNonMemberNotification(pszList,pszFrom,pszSubj);

   // return false to move the submission to a hold
   // queue waiting for moderator approval

   return false;
}

Of course, other control factors are not shown, like a limited time window for expiring the temp member status. I might just add this to our list server. :)

--
Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com