Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-05-24 13:43:07

For what it is worth, here is my opinion on this subject (which I was
asked to post here).

I see  possible privacy law problems with posting the blue sheets, so
I would not.

I see a good reason to scan and have images of new blue sheets, make
it easier to respond to subpoenas.

I do see a historical benefit to keeping the blue sheets (as blue
sheets, not just scans), and the expense
of doing so is minimal, so I would urge that their archiving be continued.

During the IESG off-site meeting, this topic received quite a bit of
discussion.  The IESG recognized that blue sheet information is valuable for
peer pressure to abide by the IPR rules.  In contrast, I understand the
concerns that have been raised on this thread.  As a result, I am looking into
a mechanism where a datatracker password is needed to get the blue sheet
images.  This would be the same password that an IETF community participant
will to use with the soon-to-be-released Internet-Draft Tracking features (see
RFC 6293).  These accounts are available to anyone; however, the need for an
account to access blue sheet images raises the bar for access.  Additionally,
the need for an account will keep the blue sheet images hidden from web
crawlers.

Thanks to Ted hardie for the question that lead to this potential solution.

Russ