Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-05-10 13:31:44

--On Thursday, May 10, 2012 09:42 -0800 Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 5/10/12 9:32 AM, Martin Rex wrote:
There has never been a need to actively broadcast these
massive amounts of personally identifiable information (PII),
and I haven't seen any convincing rationale for doing it now.

To be honest, "I don't want to receive more spam" and "My boss
might
find out I skipped a session" are not reasons not to be open
about
who's participating in sessions, particularly as we drift
towards a
meetings/voting model.  I understand sensitivity about
broadcasting
travel plans but in general some of the arguments being
offered for
being a less open organization with a less open process are
drifting
into "The FBI implanted a radio transmitter in my teeth"
territory,
and it seems to me that making blue sheets available after
meetings
does not reveal much PII beyond what's already available on
the mailing
lists.

There's a serious question here about tradeoffs between
privacy and
openness.  Openness is not just a core institutional value
(although
it is one - do not forget that), but it's also a defense
against
charges of collusion, which, unfortunately, we've been seeing.

+1

Also, please note that there is an interaction between this and
draft-farrresnickel-ipr-sanctions (now in Last Call).
Regardless of the other issues with that particular proposal,
the only real way to escape the IETF's IPR disclosure
requirements about something of which one is aware is to not
participate in any way in an affected WG.  I hate the idea of
the community getting embroiled in accusations and
counter-accusations but one advantage to a working IPR policy
(as well as general openness) of publishing the blue sheets is
the ability to notice and send reminder notes of the form of
"hey, I think I say you in WG FooBar and you've mentioned that
your company is doing work in the area, did you accidentally
forget to sign the blue sheet".   Of course, that means there is
one missing part of the current IESG picture and that is the
ability of people to add their names (perhaps as errata) to the
published blue sheets if an omission was unintentional.

    john