Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-appsawg-http-forwarded-06.txt> (Forwarded HTTP Extension) to Proposed Standard

2012-07-09 16:49:32

So I have a question about this draft that wasn't
resolved on apps-discuss and is maybe more suited
for IETF LC anyway.

With geopriv, we've gone to a lot of trouble to
support end-users having some control over their
location privacy.

This HTTP header will be used by proxies to forward
on the IP address of a client, and that will be used
via geo-ip services to locate the HTTP client.

But in this case, there's no control whatsoever
for the end user, nor are they even told that
its happened.

That seems to me to be quite a disconnect, but
I'm not sure what if anything ought be done about
it, since in this case, there's a non-standard
header that's widely deployed that does this.

So if we did try encourage taking the geopriv
approach we'd presumably just be ignored.

Any ideas?

Ta,
S.