Re: Basic ietf process question ...

2012-08-02 16:50:46
Hi Joe,

Many thx for your comments.

Perhaps my intentions were not very well described. Personally I am not that much stuck on plain XML schema .. it could be expressed in any language IETF would choose to use. The point is not how to do it .. but to do it at the moment of bringing new protocol extension.

However for years the same functionality is completely different to configure using one vendor from other vendor (leave alone that even within single vendor there are complete different UIs to provision the same knob).

If anyone is even remotely serious about some form of common network OS IMHO the first step is to create unified configuration abstraction. The xml schema for each proto extension would be just a standard based API for configuration input.

Keep in mind that today routers are configured by scripts from central management clusters where there are tons of templates which in fact completely differ from vendor to vendor and their maintenance and keeping them up to date is a real pain.

Regards,
R.