Re: Basic ietf process question ...

2012-08-03 14:30:19
Robert Raszuk wrote:

I understand that historically we had/still have SNMP however I have
never seen this being mandatory section of any standards track document.
Usually SNMP comes 5 years behind (if at all) making it obsolete by design.

NETCONF is great and very flexible communication channel for
provisioning. However it is sufficient to just look at number of ops
lists to see that those who tried to use it quickly abandoned their
efforts due to complete lack of XML schema from each vendor they happen
to use or complete mismatch of vendor to vendor XML interpretation.

There seems to be a network management protocol in active use
for CPE networking gear:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

that is based on SOAP (ie WebService using XML).

-Martin