Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

2012-08-02 17:00:57
On 8/2/2012 2:53 PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:
On Aug 2, 2012, at 2:30 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

The whole concept of a global network, with no centralized control, that
permits (nay, encourages) the free flow of information is anathema to
many national governments. They are desperate to choke that off, by any
means necessary.

From
http://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2012/07/nsa-head-calls-more-visibility-over-computer-networks/57073/
 :

"The decentralized nature of the Internet and the confusing thicket of
independent public and private networks are limiting efforts to protect
against attacks, Alexander signaled Friday at the Def Con hacker conference
in Las Vegas."

This is Gen. Alexander, head of the NSA...

I'm not discounting the fact that some elements of the USG want to clamp
down on this troublesome "freedom" thing. :)  But look at the next
sentence below what you quoted:

Alexander used the speech to lobby for laws to make it easier for
companies under attack to share information with the government and each
other ...

There are currently many DIS-incentives in place regarding companies
sharing information about attacks, hacks, etc.

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what