Re: ITU-T Dubai Meeting

2012-08-09 09:52:54
The fact that people plan badly does not mean that all planning must fail.

As Tom Knight pointed out when the IPv4 address size was chosen, there
aren't enough for one for each person living on the planet.

IPv6 has enough addresses to assign a subnet to every grain of sand on
the planet.

Allocating a /16 for national RIRs independent of IANA and the US
government gives other countries the ability to protect their national
interests. The specific concern is that the US government can pass a
law that prevents

Remember that we are trying to build a network that is going to last
for hundreds if not thousands of years. I don't think it likely that
the RIRs or ICANN or even the IETF lasts that long. If it does it will
be in a very different form. What we might think about Steve Crocker
or Vint Cerf or whoever is irrelevant, we do not know who their
successors will be let alone whether we can trust whoever is in charge
in 2040.

I do not believe the national allocations are ever likely to be used
unless the RIRs screw up or get above their post but their existence
provides an exit option in case they ever do.

What I am proposing here is the network equivalent of a crumple zone
on a car body. Cars are designed to break in very specific ways so as
to avoid damage. There is quite a large potential for collateral
damage if an event occurs and people start inventing solutions on the
fly and there are multiple competing solutions fighting it out.

There are privacy implications to this approach but only for battles
that have already been lost. Packets are not routed by the IP address
in any case, they are aggregated by the ASN number and all that is
needed to map those to identify national origin in practice is a
lookup table. [Yes there are networks that span national borders but
not in countries with ugly types of government where this capability
is a concern].

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Dmitry Burkov