Re: Meeting "lounges" at IETF meetings

2012-08-03 13:22:33
I don't like this idea at all.  For people that aren't staying at the
meeting hotel, the terminal room is often the only place where it is quiet.
 Ear plugs only partially address the problem for those of us with really
sensitive hearing and some folks cannot use those ear plugs (e.g., when you
have an ear infection, which I often get from the air conditioning in these
venues).

Instead, I think we should ensure that future venues have adequate space
for both circulating between meeting rooms and for side conversations.
 This hotel was really bad in that respect.  The corridor outside the
Regency rooms was always packed between sessions and getting from B to E
was impossible without bumping into people.  One problem was that people
stopped in the corridor for discussions, which is a normal thing to do at
IETF meetings, but it totally clogged up the hallways and often blocked the
access to the coffee.  This makes me wonder if the folks that choose the
venue discuss the nature of our meetings - i.e., almost everyone is moving
between meeting rooms multiple times a day.  Also, at least half the people
have backpacks and the majority are men.  Thus, the footprint for each of
us is larger than the average conference attendee.   I would suggest for
this next meeting at this hotel to put the refreshments in the open space
on the 3rd floor and put some chairs or tables in the alcoves and along the
wall where they put the refreshments.  Or better yet, reserve one of the
rooms for the refreshments and/or meeting space.  We had that at one of the
recent meetings and it worked extremely well.    I suggest that you could
cut the cookie budget if funds really are the only reason this wouldn't be
done.

Mary.

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Paul Hoffman