Re: So, where to repeat? (was: Re: management granularity)

2012-08-07 21:21:05

On 8/7/2012 5:29 PM, John Levine wrote:
So I agree with that. If a feasible venue actually in Dublin
turns up I'll be sure to let Ray/IAOC/site-visit folks know.

The Burlington hotel claims that they can host a 1500 person meeting.

Yeah, it's exactly that easy to choose a venue.  A single number does it.[1]

not.

Folks, the IETF actually has a rather constraining set of requirements and the secretariat has to put in quite a bit of effort to qualify venues. Many places that are otherwise just dandy can't deal with these complexities. For example, we run quite a few parallel meetings that are large.

Take a careful look at the range of serious complaints that get lodged about venues and you can start to glean the requirements list. (I said serious. That is, complaints that get significant traction from the community.)

Perhaps the Burlington really can accommodate us, but given the rate at which places get rejected, the expectation ain't great. That doesn't mean reject it out of hand, of course.

d/

[1] For the places that we do go to and that we like, I've no idea what single capacity number they typically cite, but I predict it's more like double our actual size, if not triple.

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking