Re: New Version Notification for draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-01.txt

2012-08-17 14:34:31

--On Friday, August 17, 2012 15:05 -0400 Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org> wrote:

Russ has raised a couple of good points.  I like John's
solution to one of them, and SM has proposed a good solution
to the other off list.  I have the following changes in the
pending next version.

I've slightly edited John's text, and Section 4, bullet 3,
paragraph 1 will now change to this:

   The nominating committee comprises a Chair, ten voting
volunteers,    the immediate past nominating committee Chair
as an advisor, plus    liaisons and possible additional
advisor(s) as described herein.

Yes, much better.  I realized after I sent the note that I
intended to say "Section 4 of RFC 3777 as amended by subsequent
documents including this one", but your text is more to the
point.

SM suggests fixing the "liaisons" issue by changing the
definition of "sitting member" instead of by trying to explain
it in bullet 15.1.  I agree that that's cleaner.

The update to Section 2, paragraph 6 will change to this:

sitting member:  A person who is currently serving a term of
membership       in, and having a standing to participate in
the decisions of,       the IESG, the IAB, the IAOC, or the
ISOC Board of Trustees.       Liaisons from other bodies are
not sitting members, by this definition.       (For example,
an IESG liaison to the IAB is not a sitting member of
the IAB, though it may be a sitting member of the IESG.)

This is still a tad ambiguous in principle (only).  For example,
it isn't clear whether, by that definition, the IAB Chair is a
sitting member of the IESG (no vote, but excluded from the
Nomcom as a sitting member of the IAB) or whether the IETF Chair
is a sitting member of the IAB (votes, but excluded from the
Nomcom anyway as a sitting member of the IESG).  There are other
such cases, but I believe all of them are, in practice, excluded
by some other rule.

So I think it is ok... and the marginal aesthetics are not worth
worrying about.

    john