Re: IETF...the unconference of SDOs

2012-09-07 15:31:45
Hi Michael,
At 06:12 05-09-2012, Michael Richardson {quigon} wrote:
like other SDOs, they think. Worse of all, I think, many of these people have doing what they thought was email for around a decade, (yes, using Outlook), they have no idea how email works, nor do they even know there is another interface. They simply do not know what happens to their mis-formatted emails, and why often this results in people being unable to listens to them in the mailing list.

People use email in various ways. Each person has his/her own idea of how email works. I wonder if people think about whether a message will be formatted differently making it more difficult for the reader to understand.

Let me suggest that at the IETF, where the mailing list is king, you can't join the Elite if you can't quote email properly.

Some quoting styles make it tedious to follow the conversation. Some people consider it as inefficient to trim the content in their reply. That has been triggering more digests from an IETF mailing list. Some message bodies are a continuation of the subject line.

Whether any of the above is a good idea is subjective.

Regards,
-sm