Re: IETF...the unconference of SDOs

2012-09-10 03:48:02
Michael Richardson {quigon} <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> wrote:

Let me suggest that at the IETF, where the mailing list is king, you
can't join the Elite if you can't quote email properly.  Maybe we should
*state* this.

:-)

Maybe I'm also concerned because many in the former "elite" have moved
to Apple Mail, and it seems that it is bug compatible with Outlook in
it's assumption that format=flowed is the default, an act which destroys
email quoting, and therefore discussion.

I feel a bit sorry for Apple Mail. It used to use format=flowed very
nicely, but stopped presubably for bug compatibility with Outlook which
treats a flowed paragraph as a sequence of one-line paragraphs.

There are some other interop problems caused by Outlook's gratuitous
disregard for standards:

multipart/mixed; Content-Disposition: inline doesn't work very well.
(I predict Apple Mail will stop generating this too.)

message/rfc822 attachments don't work. If it did it would be a much better
way to do forwarding and top-posting repliesthan at present. (For
instance, Outlook can hide those horrible confusing email addresses rather
than stripping them out.)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.