Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-leiba-5322upd-from-group-06

2012-10-18 19:51:59

On Thu, 2012-10-18, John C Klensin wrote:
<snip>

As I said earlier, I can live with almost anything if it is
correct and allows us to move forward.  I am, however, getting
more concerned about the consequences to the virtual 5322bis and
its future instantiation if we go down these paths.  I would
really not like to be the relevant AD (or Pete-bis) trying to
defend leaving the explanation and reference out of 5322bis
given that they were important enough to include in this
document and, if the explanation and reference go into 5322bis,
why a large series of other references and explanations should
not be included.  I'd be a tad happier if this explanatory stuff
when into an appendix rather than the text.

<serious value="false">
How about we put the explanation right next to the justification in
5322 why <group> was not allowed in From: in the first place?
</serious>

I have wondered about that limitation for at least 15 years. I
have come up with possible explanations but without a shred of
evidence from the RFCs.

<snip>
--
Bill McQuillan <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>