Re: IAOC Request for community feedback

2012-10-24 02:17:05
On 23/10/2012 21:07, David Kessens wrote:
Doug,

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:26:58PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
You're not proposing a change in procedure. You're proposing to ignore
one.

No procedure is ignored.

BCP 101 does not define the rules for declaring a position vacant. In
absense of such rules, the IAOC decided to consult with the community
whether the community agrees that the position is now vacant.

Exactly. To my mind, a member who ceases to participate, and fails to
reply to messages indicating that the seat is about to be declared
vacant, has created a vacancy. I think the IAOC is behaving appropriately.

Another avenue, which is also mentioned in the BCP, that could have been
followed is the recall procedure. However, the IAOC felt that it was not
really intended for a situation where somebody apparently has vacated their
position.

Agreed. It could be used for that, but I don't see it as required.
We aren't dealing with alleged misbehaviour.

    Brian Carpenter