Re: Just so I'm clear

2012-10-24 10:53:05

On Oct 24, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
I get what you're saying, but this is one of those times where (arguably
for the better) we've created a difficult procedure that should be
infrequently exercised. We should follow the procedure because it _is_
the procedure. And then use the opportunity to improve it.

The existence of the recall procedure does not imply that there isn't any other
way for a seat to become vacant.  For example, a seat can become vacant when an
I* member resigns or dies, and there is no need for a recall in those cases.

I think it is reasonable for the IAOC to set it's own (reasonable, consistent)
bar for deciding that a sitting member has vacated his/her seat through lack of
attendance and lack of response.  No recall should be needed in that case to
replace the missing member, any more than if the person had explicitly
resigned.  The IAOC sent a long list of things that they have done to contact
Marshall, and he has not responded.  It seems impossible that he has not
received any of those contacts, so his lack of response is indicative, IMO,
that he has indeed vacated his seat.

I share the hope of the IAOC and others that Marshall is okay, and that he will
return to the IETF when he can.  I appreciate his contributions throughout the
years, and I would be happy to see him return to continue making those
contributions.  For now, though, he has vacated his IAOC seat and should be
replaced.

Margaret