Re: don't overthink, was Just so I'm clear

2012-10-25 15:44:31
On 10/25/2012 1:26 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
From: Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>

Removal from office _is_ considered a punitive action

Noel, you have a very bad habit of replying to snippets out of context.
Personally I don't appreciate it, as the snippet above could lead
someone to believe that what I said above means something very different
than what it actually meant in the context of my post.

Trimming quotes in responses is reasonable (I've done it in this one),
and arguably not practiced often (or well) enough. Taking the most
inflammatory bits out of context is neither useful nor appropriate.

Sorry all, but my bogometer just blew out.

He isn't being turfed out of his post (in a high-level sense); he
quit.

Yes, I fully understand that that is your argument. Some of us disagree.
Vive le difference. :)

He simply wasn't polite or thoughtful enough to do so formally,
instead of by just going catatonic on us.

Without any personal knowledge of his circumstances, I'm not prepared to
judge him.

Because I'm ticked off at the amount of time/energy being wasted in
this incredible stupidity, and the ridiculous, petty-fogging amateur
legalisms which are being thrown around like the chicken-feed they
are.

This kind of ad hominem attack has no place in the IETF. You are
perfectly free to disagree with me, but that doesn't give you the right
to cast aspersions regarding the quality of, or motives behind my
contribution.

In fact, the _only_ reason I have spent so much time on this is that I
think it's an incredibly important question. Are we going to be an
organization that follows its own procedures, or are we going to treat
every written word as a guideline, which can be freely interpreted as
the occasion dictates?

Taking the latter course may be expedient, but IMO it has far-reaching
implications that will do far more harm to the organization than good.

Doug