Re: don't overthink, was Just so I'm clear

2012-10-25 15:49:33
At 08:53 AM 10/25/2012, Noel Chiappa wrote:
We're all agreed that the IETF in plenary mode (i.e. all of us) can change
any/all policy/procedures, right?

Actually, that's my point here.

Once upon a time, we did everything by group hum.  Then we became a standards
body with formal procedures and gave up the power to change any/all
policy/procedures by just wishing they were changed.

As I see it, with respect to this "problem" -

The IAOC has no power to declare the position vacant.  They know this, and
that's why they sent a note to the list asking for "permission".

But - the IETF may do one of two things:
   1) It may change the procedure/policy by using the existing defined
procedures and policies and THEN follow the new procedure policy.
or
   2) It may initiate the recall procedures.

AFAIK the IETF "plenary" does not have the powers you suggest it has.

Mike