Re: ISOC BOT and Process BCPs

2012-10-28 12:25:10
On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 4:35 AM, Scott O Bradner <sob(_at_)sobco(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Sam -
        The ISOC BoT has generally (with some slip-ups) accepted IETF process
documents as
describing the IETF process - this has been seen as a good idea for the
insurance coverage

there is no requirement in the IETF process that such RFCs be approved by the
ISOC board
nor that they are accepted as describing IETF process before the RFCs become
active

see, for example, Resolution 2006-36
http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/board-trustees/list-resolutions

The other piece to this is in RFC 2026, in the section on appeals:

   Further recourse is available only in cases in which the procedures
   themselves (i.e., the procedures described in this document) are
   claimed to be inadequate or insufficient to the protection of the
   rights of all parties in a fair and open Internet Standards Process.
   Claims on this basis may be made to the Internet Society Board of
   Trustees.

By sending process documents to the ISOC Board on adoption, the IETF
avoids the late surprise possibility that they will later be found to
be "inadequate or insufficient".  That doesn't eliminate the right of
appeal (someone filing one may raise and issue that the Board didn't
consider), but it does mean that there is some context when appeals
occur.

It may not be strictly required, in other words, but it is a good idea.

My two cents,

Ted Hardie

Scott

On Oct 26, 2012, at 7:20 AM, Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>