Re: IESG Considering a Revision to NOTE WELL

2012-11-06 17:55:50
I  do not argue that sooner is not better w/r to IP disclosures, however see
practical data  at ETSI  described at
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1912198  Assessing IPR
Disclosure Within Standard Setting: An ICT Case Study  November 2011  Anne
Layne-Farrar

Russ, w/r to timing of disclosures is a "late" disclosure defined anywhere  in
procedures as stated: "If the disclosure is made after the document completes
WG Last Call, then it is late in the IETF standards process"

 clip from study

Specifically, I take an empirical look at the timing of patent disclosures
within the European Telecommunications Standards Institute, the body
responsible for some of the world's most prevalent mobile telephony standards.
I find that most members officially disclose their potentially relevant patents
after the standard was published, and sometimes considerably so. On the other
hand, I also find that the delay in declaring patents to ETSI standards has
been shrinking over time, with disclosures occurring closer to (although for
the most part still after) the standard publication date for more recent
standard generations as compared to earlier ones.

George T. Willingmyre, P.E.
President, GTW Associates
Spencerville, MD USA 20868
301.421.4138